A photo of a man pointing a double-barreled shotgun with the caption “HOW TO WINK AT A MUSLIM” has drawn some flak.
Barry West, commissioner of Coffee County in Tennessee, had posted this controversial photo on his Facebook page that went viral.
This post triggered a wave of criticism drawing consternation from Muslim groups particularly those in Tennessee who have faced Islamophobia over the past several years. These groups demanded an apology. This prompted West to remove the original post from his FB page.
However, the commissioner does not feel sorry about posting the photo, but responded by arguing he meant it to be humorous, “I thought it was humorous,” West told in an interview with the local Tullahoma News. “I’m prejudiced against anyone who’s trying to tear down this country, Muslims, Mexicans, anybody, … If you come into this country illegally or harm us or take away benefits, I’m against it.”
- U.S. Commissioner refuses to apologize for anti-Muslim picture (worldbulletin.net)
- ‘Humorous’? Local Tennessee Official Draws Backlash With ‘How To Wink At A Muslim’ Post (mediaite.com)
- “HOW TO WINK AT A MUSLIM” post incites OUTRAGE (PHOTO+VIDEO) (guns.com)
- Tennessee Commissioner Refuses To Apologize For Anti-Muslim Picture On Facebook (thinkprogress.org.feedsportal.com)
- Tennessee Politician Feels Unfairly Criticized For Innocent Let’s-Point-Guns-At-Muslims Message (wonkette.com)