Congress leaders like Renuka Chaudhary had sought chemical castration of rapists.
Unlike surgical castration, where the testicles or ovaries are removed through an incision in the body, chemical castration involves the administration of anti-androgen drugs, such as cyproterone acetate or the birth-control drug Depo-Provera, given as an injection every three months. The antipsychotic agent Benperidol can also be injected for this purpose. Chemical castration does not actually castrate the person, nor is it a form of sterilization.
Chemical castration does not castrate the person, nor is it a form of sterilization. Although reversible on discontinuation of treatment, sometimes permanent changes in body chemistry can be seen, such as bone loss of density due to the use of Depo Provera for a length of time.
From time to time, chemical castration used as an instrument of public and/or judicial policy despite has evoked concerns over possible side effects and human rights.
On Saturday, January 5, 2013, submitted its suggestions on stringent laws for crimes against women to the three-member committee headed by former Chief Justice of India J.S. Verma.
The Verma Committee set up on December 23, 2012, with a mandate to review the present statute and give recommendations on amending laws to provide speedy justice and greater punishment, in cases of aggravated sexual assault, has to submit its report in 30 days.
The Congress party made it clear that its party chief Sonia Gandhi has not made any suggestion to The Verma Committee regarding chemical castration.
- Congress not in favour of castration (dailymail.co.uk)
- Congress not for chemical castration #goodnews #vaw #justice (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Delhi Gang-Rape: Ruling Party In India Proposes Chemical Castration Of Rapists (ibtimes.com)
- Anti-rape law: Cong against chemical castration (ibnlive.in.com)
- On why chemical castration won’t work in India. (subhabratadasgupta.wordpress.com)
- #Rape- Castration is not the right legal response #Vaw #Torture (kractivist.wordpress.com)