The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) confirmed that the 39-year-old living Indian cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar has retired from one-day cricket (ODI). Last Sunday Sachin Tendulkar announced the end of his illustrious career in one-day-international cricket.
In a statement released on Sunday, he said: “I have decided to retire from the one-day format of the game; I feel blessed to have fulfilled the dream of being part of a World Cup winning Indian team (in 2011); I am eternally grateful to all my well-wishers for their unconditional support and love over the years.”
In March 2012, Tendulkar played his last one-day match against Pakistan, the team against which he made his début almost exactly 23 years ago.
Known as the “Little Master,” Tendulkar holds the record for scoring the highest number of runs in ODIs, and the first batsman in the history of the one-day cricket to score a double century.
All acknowledge Sachin Tendulkar as the greatest living batsman and second only to Don Bradman.
In June this year India glorified the living cricket legend by nominating him as a member of the Rajya Sabha (or Council of States or the upper house of the Parliament of India).
One Day Career Stats
Matches played: 463
Innings played: 452
Runs taken: 18,426 runs
Highest score: 200 not out
Average: 44.83 runs
Total balls bowled: 8,054
Total runs given: 6,850
Total wickets taken: 154
Career best: 5 wickets for 32 runs
Average runs given : 44.48 runs per match
His ardent fans in India and abroad call him “The God of Cricket”, and the above figures justify that.
We have to thank Shri Raj Singh Dungarpur, former president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India for introducing Ramesh Tendulkar to the world of cricket. The BCCI selection committee under the chairmanship of Dungarpur chose Sachin Tendulkar for the 1989 Indian tour of Pakistan. On his international Test debut in November 1989, Sachin Tendulkar was 16 years 205 days of age, the third youngest cricketer to make his first appearance in international cricket.
Former Indian skippers Krishnamachari Srikkanth and Sourav Ganguly were full of praises for Sachin Tendulkar. Both declared that his records could never be matched.
Srikkanth said: “I am surprised by his move, but he is leaving ODI cricket on a high.”
Sourav Ganguly said: “I felt that he might have played on, but it is his decision.. There was a doubt on whether he would play ODI cricket or not. However, I am not surprised by his decision. He has done what he thought was right.”
“Actually I am surprised,” said Dilip Vengsarkar, the former India captain. “If he is continuing with international cricket [in Tests] then he should have continued with ODI also.”
The Indian spinner Harbhajan Singh tweeted: “Sachin tendulkar a great batsman. great human being. a great friend. great man to look up 2. proud indian. Real son of india. I salute u nd love u. 423 matches, 23 yrs, 18426 runs !!!! These numbers no body else wil be able to come close to. salute salute salute to sachin.”
The England batsman Kevin Pietersen tweeted: “Statistics NEVER lie! They tell a very true story.. Well done Sachin! What an incredible ODI career.. #thebest.”
Awards and Honours
- Arjuna award
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna
- Padma Vibhushan
- Wisden Cricketers of the Year
- Maharashtra Bhushan Award
- Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World
- Wisden India Outstanding Achievement Award
- World Test XI
- ICC World ODI XI
- Castrol Indian Cricketer of the Year
- Outstanding Achievement in Sport
- BCCI Cricketer of the Year
- LG People’s Choice Award
- People’s Choice Award
- Membership of the Order of Australia
- Sachin Tendulkar retires from one-day cricket (aljazeera.com)
- Glowing tributes to Tendulkar (thehindu.com)
- Tributes pour in for Tendulkar (vancouverdesi.com)
- Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement from ODIs, wants to focus on Test cricket (sports.ndtv.com)
- India’s Sachin Tendulkar steps down from one-day internationals (guardian.co.uk)
- Tendulkar announces retirement from ODIs (nation.com.pk)
- Sourav Ganguly: No one can drop Sachin Tendulkar (icricketbuzz.com)
- Pakistan will miss Tendulkar, Hafeez says (thehindu.com)
- A Boost Anthem for Sachin by ‘Kolaveri’ Dhanush. (tvaraj.wordpress.com)
- Congrats, Sachin Hundredulkar… (tvaraj.wordpress.com)
- Sachin Tendulkar’s Maiden International TEST Century (tvaraj.wordpress.com)
- I am not a fan of cricket. But I am a fan of THE GOD OF CRICKET. (anilyzed.wordpress.com)
- Sachin Tendulkar- Chronology of Centuries (ashiot.wordpress.com)
- IPL 2013: Schedule (tvaraj.wordpress.com)