The 29-year-old Reeva Steenkamp, the glamorous South African model shot dead by her lover, the 27-year-old Oscar Pistorius was a fervent tweeter. She regularly tweeted about the “amazing” Pistorius, the globally admired double-amputee, who competed against able-bodied athletes at the 2012 Olympics in London.
One of the last tweets Reeva made had a tinge of romance:
“What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow??? #getexcited #ValentinesDay“.
A few hours later on February 14, 2013, just before dawn broke, Reeva was lying dead in the bathroom of the celebrated athlete’s home in Pretoria. Reeva was killed when Oscar Pistorius fired four times through a locked toilet door in his house. Oscar claimed he thought she was an intruder.
Born on August 19, 1983, in Cape Town, Reeva Steenkamp spent her early years on a farm near the city. Her father was a racehorse trainer.
Later on, when her family moved south to Port Elizabeth, Reeva attended a Catholic school.
As her parents did not have the means to pay the fees for her college, her studies at the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University were covered by fellowships. Reeva graduated with a degree in law and dreamt of setting up a shelter for abused women.
Later, after her death Reeva’s parents said:
“Reeva, who held such a passion for women’s abuse issues and frequently spoke out against domestic violence, intended to one day open an establishment where abused women would be cared for.”
Reeva moved to Johannesburg after her graduation to pursue a career in modelling. She modelled in commercials for the Japanese car manufacturer Toyota, Italian fashion brand Zui and for the online jewelry retailer Sivana Diamonds. She was chosen to be the face of Avo Cosmetics. She also worked as a presenter for Fashion TV South Africa.
In 2011 and 2012, the FHM magazine named Reeva Steenkamp as one of the 100 Sexiest Women in the World.
Reeva’s last television appearance was on the South African celebrity reality show “Tropika Island of Treasure,” aired a few days after her death.
On September 12, 2014, Oscar Pistorius was convicted of culpable homicide.
- Reeva Steenkamp in Pictures: Remembering Oscar Pistorius’ Girlfriend as World Awaits Verdict (ibtimes.co.uk)
- Reeva Steenkamp and Oscar Pistorius: Not a question of fact, but perspective (glosswatch.com)
- Reeva Steenkamp’s parents ‘disappointed’ by Oscar Pistorius trial verdict (telegraph.co.uk)
- Steenkamp family protest Pistorius verdict (radionz.co.nz)
- Oscar Pistorius guilty: athlete faces up to 15 years in prison after being found guilty of manslaughter of Reeva Steenkamp (standard.co.uk)
- Live video from Oscar Pistorius judgement (itv.com)
- Oscar Pistorius guilty of culpable homicide, freed on bail; sentencing date set (thestar.com)
- New Photo Shows Blood-Splattered Pistorius at Scene (nbcnews.com)
- Oscar Pistorius Guilty Of Culpable Homicide In Killing Of Reeva Steenkamp (freshwaddabrooks.com)
- News: Oscar Pistorius Granted Bail (tvaraj.com)
- News: South Africa Police Drop Lead Detective in Oscar Pistorius Attempted Murder Case (tvaraj.com)
- News: Affidavit of Oscar Pistorius to Court (in Full) (tvaraj.com)
- Oscar Pistorius and the Bloodied Cricket Bat in His Bedroom (tvaraj.com)
- ‘Blade Runner’ Oscar Pistorius Charged with Murder of His Girlfriend (tvaraj.com)
- Ellie May Challis vs Oscar ‘Blade Runner’ Pistorius (tvaraj.com)