..By Pastor Mike
If you walked down the street of the a busy city and asked random people about Christians what do you think they would say? I would love to say that those people would have nothing but good things to say, but sadly that is not true. Unfortunately, the word that would be most commonly used probably wouldn’t be loving, nice, compassionate or forgiving. Unfortunately, the word probably most often used to describe a Christian has been a hypocrite. That’s not to say that I agree with that, but that’s what a lot of people would say. So naturally I thought we should check out what the Bible has to say about hypocrites and hypocrisy.
Sometimes when looking up a certain topic in the Bible you can’t find a place where the Bible specifically talks about it and you have just have to put two and two together. Hypocrisy or hypocrites is not one of those topics. The Bible talks about hypocrites a lot and nobody talks about hypocrites in the Bible more often than Jesus himself.
Jesus obviously frowned upon hypocrisy, but what exactly is hypocrisy? There are a few different ways of being a hypocrite and each is shown in the Bible. The first type of hypocrisy can be found in Matthew chapter 6. In verse 2 Jesus says,
“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.”
Jesus goes on to say,
“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their rewards in full.”
This is probably not the most common type of hypocrisy, although you may know someone like the people described in these verses. This type of a hypocrite is somebody that actually does something good, but does them for the wrong reasons. It’s not good enough to just pray to God or give to the needy, you must also have a good reason for it. A good Christian will pray because he wants to have a closer relationship with God or give to the needy out of compassion, but a hypocrite will do these things for their own glory. A hypocrite will make sure that other Christians see them so they can brag about how good a Christian they are.
Another type of hypocrite can be found in Matthew chapter 7. Verse 5 says,
“You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.”
This example of a hypocrite is probably the most common example of a hypocrite. Mainly because this type of hypocrisy isn’t really about being a Christian. This type of hypocrisy can be seen in anybody. Basically what this verse is talking about is that person A is telling person B about a flaw in them when person A is a hypocrite because they also have the same flaw. It basically would be like Lex Luthor walk up to Superman and telling him he should be nicer to people.
Like I said, this type of hypocrisy can be found in anybody, not just Christians, but how should a Christian act? A good Christian would first take a look at themselves and see if they have this flaw before calling somebody else out on it. If they also have that flaw, then they should take care of it before they tell anybody else what to do. That is what Jesus is talking about when he says to remove the plank from your own eye.
If you’re not being a hypocrite there is nothing wrong with confronting somebody with a problem they have but just like the hypocrites in the first example, you shouldn’t do this in public. Talk to the person in private.
Both of these are examples of hypocrites and you probably know people like them, but when people call Christians hypocrites they are usually referring to the third example. 1 John 2:4 tells us about this type of Christian:
“Whoever says ‘I know him’ but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him.”
It’s pretty simple. This type of hypocrite is the type of person that claims they are a Christian, but then doesn’t act like it. They might attend church on Sundays, even though the night before they were out doing sinful things. The Bible is very straightforward, these people are liars. You probably don’t need the Bible to tell you that, it’s pretty clear. In God’s eyes people that claim to be Christians but don’t act like it aren’t “Christian hypocrites”, they’re just non-Christians. They were never Christians to begin with.
Of course, God isn’t saying, “if you ever break one single rule, then that’s it, you’re a liar.” It just means if you really are a Christian then you will make a genuine attempt to follow all of his commandments. We aren’t perfect. Sometimes we’ll make a mistake and unfortunately when we make that mistake, a non-Christian will probably be there to call us a hypocrite because they love pointing them out. But as long as you keep on trying to follow God’s commandments, then you aren’t a hypocrite, you’re just human.
Reposted from PASTOR MIKE SAYS
- Christian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian
- Hypocrisy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrisy
- Looking Through Her Window … (tvaraj.com)
- Teach me how to pray … (tvaraj.com)
- The Question about Fasting (tvaraj2inspirations.wordpress.com)
- Sermon on the Mount – Stop Judging Others (tvaraj2inspirations.wordpress.com)
- Sermon on the Mount – Teaching about Fasting (tvaraj2inspirations.wordpress.com)
- Sermon on the Mount – Teaching about Prayer (tvaraj2inspirations.wordpress.com)
- Sermon on the Mount – Teaching about Almsgiving (tvaraj2inspirations.wordpress.com)
- The Chair of Moses (tvaraj2inspirations.wordpress.com)
- Jesus denounces the Scribes (tvaraj2inspirations.wordpress.com)
- Teach me how to pray … (tvaraj2inspirations.wordpress.com)
- Ash Wednesday (tvaraj2inspirations.wordpress.com)
- Miracle of Jesus – The Healing of a Centurion’s Servant (tvaraj2inspirations.wordpress.com)
- Hypocrisy (samuelatgilgal.wordpress.com)
- The Pharisee | An honest look at their sin (faithfulstewardship.wordpress.com)
- Bible lesson # 21: Jesus taught us how to recognize the hypocrites (ivarfjeld.com)
- Hypocrite (theoverflowingheart.wordpress.com)
- The Commandment for the Hypocrite (desperion.wordpress.com)
- Are you a Christian or a hypocrite? (dominicanewsonline.com)