This is a photo copy of the letter sent by Amnesty International to Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister of India:
Prime Minister of India
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
South Block, Raisina Hill
New Delhi 110 000
Dear Prime Minister,
As members of Amnesty International Geneva,Switzerland, we are dismayed by the detainment of the Tamil Naduu nuclear plant protesters, the charges of sedition, conspiracy and rioting lodged against many of them, and by the prospect that some of these protesters continue to remain in jail.
The protests, which were massive, were organized because local people feel the project to build a nuclear power plant next to the coastal village of Kudankulam poses a danger to the health of local communities. The charges against the protesters constitute a deliberate attempt by the authorities to silence them, despite the fact that the protests have been peaceful.
Dr S P Udayakumar, a teacher living in nearby Nagercoil town and leader of the People’s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE), has said the Indian authorities have failed to respond satisfactorily to several site and safety concerns raised by an independent group of experts. We are dismayed that officials belonging to the Ministry of Home Affairs searched Dr Udayakumar’s home and that police harassed shopkeepers who were in solidarity with the protesters.
We call on your government and the relevant authorities to comply with international law by respecting the rights of freedom of expression and freedom of assembly of the peaceful protesters. We call on you to:
- release all remaining peaceful protestors immediately and drop the false charges against them; and
- put an immediate end to the harassment of those resorting to peaceful protests, and respect the protestors’ rights to freedom of expression and freedom of assembly in accordance with international law.
Thanking you for taking action in this matter.
Yours very sincerely,
Peter Cattan, route de Malagnou 54 A
1208 Geneva, Switzerland
cc: Ambassade de la Republique de l’Inde, Kirchenfeldstrasse 28, Caes postale 406, 3000 Berne 6
- Kudankulam on fire … (tvaraj.wordpress.com)
- Well said Mr. Udaya Kumar … (tvaraj.wordpress.com)
- Russia supports PM’s charge over Kudankulam (ibnlive.in.com)
- Udayakumar to sue Manmohan (thehindu.com)
- Panel says Kudankulam nuclear power plant safe (ibnlive.in.com)
- India to start up Kudankulam reactor in 40 days, official says (smartbrief.com)
- Prove your charge or quit: Kudankulam activist to PM (ibnlive.in.com)
- Dr. S. P. Udayakumar sent a legal notice to Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Kudankulam row: German deported for raising funds (ibnlive.in.com)
- Élie Ducommun – Noble Prize 1902 (Permanent Peace Bureau) (goodwordnews.wordpress.com)
- India: Crackdown on Tamil Nadu Anti-Nuclear Plant Protests (globalvoicesonline.org)