He has been accused of having Naxalite links and was arrested for sedition by the Chhattisgarh Government. The Supreme Court of India which said no evidence of sedition had been produced against the accused by the Chhattisgarh Government granted bail on April 15, 2011. The final verdict is still pending.
The District Collector Alex Paul Menon, a young IAS officer hailing from Tamil Nadu and Collector of Sukma, Chhattisgarh, was abducted by the Maoists on April 21, 2012 after killing his two security guards.
On April 23, 2012 Dr. Binayak Sen issued the following Press Note for the release of District Collector AlexPaul Menon.
- Maoists kidnap govt official in central India (dawn.com)
- Maoists rebels abduct IAS officer in Chhattisgarh after killing his two security guards (dailymail.co.uk)
- Chhattisgarh Abduction: Giving Into The Maoists Not An Option – Analysis (eurasiareview.com)
- * Important clues secured in Collector abduction case, say Police (chindia-alert.org)
- Maoists set demands (thehimalayantimes.com)
- Government held to ransom: The Centre appears helpless as Maoists turn on heat with abduction as their new strategy (dailymail.co.uk)
- Urgent Appeal for Action- India/Chhattisgarh: Sukma district – Abduction of IAS officer Mr. Alex Paul Menon by the Maoists – fear for his safety (kractivist.wordpress.com)