Recently I saw this picture in Facebook posted by Mr. Lenin Pugal. I think he must have downloaded it from a Tamil website (www.natpu.in) because the watermark says so.
However, being a Tamil, this picture impressed me very much.
According to this post, the decimal numeral system that we use had been derived from the Tamil numerals. The heading says,
“Eyes of arithmetic! Tamil numerals!“
- In the first column we see the Tamil numerals.
- In the second column certain portions of the Tamil numerals are erased, indicated in red.
- The third column is the resulting decimal numbers.
Isn’t this an eye opener?
- Fractions used by Ancient Tamils (tvaraj.wordpress.com)
- Pythagoras vs Bothaināyaṉār (tvaraj.wordpress.com)
- Rapidity of Exponential Growth (tvaraj.wordpress.com)