15 February 2013, 2012 DA14, Asteroid, asteroid to miss Earth, astronomers, astronomy, Christian Pollas, Don Yeomans, Earth, Food for Thought, International Space Station, jet propulsion laboratory, Jon Giorgini and Don Yeomans, La Sagra, Lunar distance (astronomy), Meteor Crater in Arizona, NASA, NASA radars, NASA/JPL Near-Earth Object Program Office, NASA’s Near Earth Object Program, Near-Earth object, NEO, NEOs, Paul Chodas, postaday, Spain, tvaraj
On February 23, 2012, the OAM Observatory, La Sagra in Spain discovered a near-earth asteroid with an estimated diameter of about 45 meters and about 130,000 metric tons mass hurtling towards the earth. On February 15th, 2013, this asteroid named 2012 DA14 will pass within about 3.5 Earth radii of the Earth’s surface inside the geosynchronous satellite ring, located about 35,800 kilometers above the equator. According to Paul Chodas, Jon Giorgini and Don Yeomans of NASA/JPL Near-Earth Object Program Office the asteroid will not impact the Earth on February 15, 2013.
As per calculations, on February 15, 2013, the distance between the asteroid and the Earth will be 0.09 Lunar Distance (35,000 kilometers; 21,000 miles) and travel rapidly from the southern evening sky into the northern morning sky. Its closest Earth approach to Earth would occur at 19:26 UTC achieving magnitude of less than seven; somewhat fainter than naked-eye visibility. Four minutes later 2012 DA14 after passing into the Earth’s shadow for 18 minutes it will reappear from the eclipse, travel swiftly into the northern morning sky and would disappear.
Note: LD = Lunar Distance = ~384,000 kilometers (238,900 miles) .
- Asteroid to Threaten Earth in 2013 (youtube.com)
- Asteroid 2012 DA14 (youtube.com)
- Asteroid 2012 DA14 Close Approach youtube.com)
- NBC News Airs Bizarre Asteroid Warning for February 15th 2013: RE: 2012 DA14 “Make Sure Your Affairs Are in Order” (21stcenturyscreenshots.wordpress.com)
- Science & Technology – Re: 2012 DA14 now on the radar (disclose.tv)
- Closest asteroid in recorded history to pass Earth (oddonion.com)
- NEO Earth Close Approaches (neo.jpl.nasa.gov/ca/)
- A Near-Earth Object, Asteroid 2012 DA14 Now Hurtling Towards Earth(tvaraj.wordpress.com)
- Asteroid 2012 DA14 will pass by Earth at a distance of 22,500km on 15 February 2013. How long before one of these things hits? (familysurvivalprotocol.com)
- December 21, 2012: THE REAL DOOMSDAY? (Part I – a) (tvaraj.wordpress.com)
- December 21, 2012: THE REAL DOOMSDAY? (Part I – b) (tvaraj.wordpress.com)
- December 21, 2012: THE REAL DOOMSDAY? (Part 2) (tvaraj.wordpress.com)
- Asteroid 2012 DA14 Will Flyby on February 15, 2013 (tvaraj.wordpress.com)