“The U.S. birth rate dipped in 2011 to the lowest ever recorded, led by a plunge in births to immigrant women since the onset of the Great Recession,” says the Pew Research Center, a nonpartisan fact tank that provides information on the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world.
In India, the law forbids the doctors to reveal the sex of a fetus before birth even to its parents. However, here in U.S. I do not see any such restrictions imposed on medical persons.
This year on Black Friday the university of Minnesota Medical Center in Fairview, Minneapolis, celebrated ‘Boys Friday’.
The hospital delivered 19 boys in a row in 62 hours from about 5 pm on Friday 23rd until 7:15 am on Monday 26th to the amazement of the hospital staff who said they have never seen or heard of such a phenomenon in their lives without a single girl born in-between.
- 19 baby boys totaling 363 inches, and 115 pounds.
- The range of babies’ weights spanned eight pounds from smallest to biggest.
- The probability of 19 boys being born in a row, in any hospital happens to be 1:500,000 i.e., if we assume a 50:50 chance of having a boy or a girl being born, then this occurrence yields 0.5 to the power of 19.
- For the month of November, the hospital has seen 106 boys delivered as opposed to 77 girls.
The streak came to an end at 7:15 am. Monday with the birth of a baby girl named Ladan.
By the way, Ladan’s father Mohamed Guled happens to be the CEO of Dauus that manufacturers diapers.
“When I heard about the story I thought, ‘that’s amazing. Why don’t we give 3 months’ supply of diapers to all the mothers that had all those boys,” Guled said and kept his word.
- Boy, Oh Boy! Local Hospital Delivers 19 Boys In A Row (minnesota.cbslocal.com)
- Oh boy(s)! 19 baby boys born in a row at one hospital (todayhealth.today.com)
- News: A woman gave birth to 11 baby boys in Surat, India. (tvaraj.wordpress.com)
- News: Babies Born on 12/12/12 at 12:12 AM and 12:12 PM (tvaraj.wordpress.com)