Belgium, Canada, Food for Thought, Israel, Marshall Islands., Micronesia, Nauru, News, Palau, Palestine, Panama, s France, Spain, Sweden, the Czech Republic, the US, This is life, tvaraj, United Nations General Assembly, United States
The UN general assembly has just voted overwhelmingly to recognize Palestine as a state. An astounding 138 nations chose to support the path of peace and justice.
Just weeks ago, the vote was expected to be much closer, with Israel and the US lobbying hard to deny Palestine key European support. But in the face of major public pressure and vigorous campaigning by the Avaaz community, countries such as France, Spain, Belgium and Sweden decided to vote yes to statehood for Palestine. In the end, just nine countries ended up on the wrong side of history: Israel, the US, Canada, the Czech Republic, Panama, Palau, Nauru, Micronesia and the Marshall Islands.
Celebrate this historic moment, share this map with everyone.
[Update: This map has been corrected to show New Zealand also voted in favor, rather than abstaining.]
- Welcome to Statehood, Palestine! (sairasays.wordpress.com)
- Why Did Palau, Micronesia, Nauru and The Marshall Islands Vote Against Palestine’s UN Bid? (ginosblog.com)
- Nobody Knows Where Countries That Voted Against Palestine Are (mashable.com)
- Only 9 Countries Vote Against Palestinians At UN (huffingtonpost.com)
- UN general assembly makes resounding vote in favour of Palestinian statehood (guardian.co.uk)
- Palestine UN vote reaction: US calls new status ‘counterproductive’ (telegraph.co.uk)
- UN: A Decisive Victory for Palestine (commondreams.org)
- The World Votes in Favor of Peace for the Palestinians and the Israelis… (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
- Here’s how countries voted on Palestinian statehood today – and Israeli statehood 65 years ago (qz.com)
- If we dance with Darwin’s Theory of Survival of the Fetish (am just kidding) fittest Judaic must be the missing half of planet earth population instead of Buddhists, Hindus, Shinto you name it. So what went wrong with the chosen-ones fertility & Vitality rates and old-testament trash? (alakhtal.wordpress.com)